468x60 Ads

Mortal Kombat Players Interview: Which character is the best/worst, Injustice thoughts and more!


Team PanCan has produced a list of Mortal Kombat 9-related questions, which the country's best Mortal Kombat players graciously answered. Here are their thoughts on several topics:

1. In your opinion, which character do you think is at the top of the tier rankings and why?

Jet (Johnny Cage): Kabal because of his infinite blockstrings.

Christoph (Smoke): Kabal, his pressure options are insane, plus he disables jump-ins with his agb.

Chady (Ermac): In no particular order: Jax, Cyrax, Kung Lao, Kabal.

Insane (Scorpion): Kabal. His run-stop pressure is still a beast and it pretty much locks you up. His combos eventually reset to the run-stop pressure. And he has a fireball.

Kedra (Scorpion): Either Kabal or Kenshi. Each of them has high zoning and pressure capabilities with some unique moves. Kabal's Nomad Dash Cancels are used for pressure, safe normal recovery cancels, etc. EX Nomad Dash Cancel are better imo, makes it too safe and a great Option Select for some situations. Kenshi's Normals are great.

MattGaw (Cyrax): Kung Lao, Kabal, and Mileena because of frame traps, zoning, combo damage and execution.

Marcus (Rain): Kung Lao. Very easy to use, mobile, good zoning, good teleport, godlike pressure.

Noba (Quan Chi): Currently, I am convinced that Kenshi and Kabal are the top characters in this game. Given they have lots of options deal with a lot of situations. They can also lock the opponents with ease. They also gain meter while they are at it.

Migosan (Sektor): Kung Lao - nuff said, Kabal - great overall game, rushdown, zoning, mixups, footsies, enchanced and normals.

Xannax (Smoke): Kabal. Dash Cancel combos are hard to guess.

Retic (Reptile): Hard to say but I think it's a toss between Cage, Kabal and Jax.

FEAR ME! (Noob): I think Kung Lao but still it depends on the player on how they use the character well.

Ryan Y. (Sub-Zero): Kung Lao - almost safe teleport and almost all moves has armors, Kabal - imba Mad Dash cancel and almost infinite Gas Ball, Kenshi - so cheap and hard to get near.

Apeshit (Freddy): Smoke. Xannax gave me nightmares with Smoke and I still couldn't figure out how to beat him haha!

MrValdez (Nightwolf): I don't believe in tiers.

Stark (Cyrax): I'd have to say Kabal. His NDC's make him relentless and his AGB and ground saws make it hard to pressure this character.

 

2. On the flipside, which character do you think is at the bottom of the tier rankings and why?

Jet: Baraka for being too slow.

Christoph: Sheeva, she's slow.

Chady: In descending order: Sheeva,Jade, Baraka.

Insane: Jade. She doesn't have that much tools for other match-ups. And her boomerang shenanigans can be easily anticipated if you know the character enough.

Kedra: Baraka and Kano, once they have no meter, they are like almost 3.5 - 6.5 match-ups against mid tier to top tier characters. Sheeva is an exception, for me.

Mattgaw: I think Sheeva or Baraka are a bit slow in normals or frame traps.

Marcus: Jade or Sindel. Low damage, very hard to use, crappy mixups.

Noba: Jade and Sheeva remain to be consistent to be the weakest of the bunch. Jade pretty much may have decent range but damage wise she is pretty weak. Sheeva on the other hand is polar opposite has damage but can be pretty much useless if the opponent is boxing you out of range.

Migosan: Sheeva - too slow, can't really do anything for me.

Xannax: Jade. Damage is too low.

Retic: Not so sure.

FEAR ME!: Kratos.

Ryan Y.: Baraka & Kano - slow starter combo and punishable moves, Jade - low % damage, Sheeva - big hit box.

Apeshit: Sindel. Used her before, and I see her as a subpar zoner who does low damage and cannot escape pressure once her opponents get in.

MrValdez: I don't believe in tiers.

Stark: Sheeva. Nuff said.


3. Any rituals that you do before starting a match?

Jet: None.

Christoph: Have a beer *wink*.

Chady: Adjust my glasses (If I'm wearing them) and flex my fingers.

Insane: I just try to relax myself as much as possible.

Kedra: Honestly, I've prayed for each of my match on my first MK9 tournament which was overall a surprised one. After that taking 3rd place, I decided to read my matches on my brother's channel on Youtube. And I got to say, I'm really nervous on some of the matches that I watched. Next time, I got to keep my cool and be confident next time around on the next tourney if ever I am available.

Mattgaw: I drink some juice in Iggy's store.

Marcus: None.

Noba: Button check, shake hands, nod and smile.

Migosan: Make up stories to myself on what my codes mean during the loading screen.
Xannax: None.

Retic: Stretch fingers. Stretch arms. Tea (hot or iced; preferably japanese green sencha). I just quit smoking 4 months ago so nicotine's out of the picture.

FEAR ME!: I always do the Sign of the Cross.

Ryan Y.: None.

Apeshit: I take around 3-5 really deep breaths to relax and focus on the match.

MrValdez: Does button check count? No? Well, I mentally put myself in a relaxed stage. This is my "baseline". If I go below this mental baseline, I usually find myself playing worse.

Stark: I smoke a cigarette, possibly 2 if time allows for it.


4. Which character do you look forward to facing the most?

Jet: Kabal!

Christoph: Anyone except Kabal and Kung Lao.

Chady: Hmmm, I like seeing the characters that don't get used often like Stryker and Kenshi, I enjoy watching their tech. I don't mind if I'm on the receiving end.

Insane: Sub-Zero. He's Scorpion's rival after all. Kidding aside, he's probably the Ryu of MK. I'm most comfortable when playing against that character and I know how to fight him. It's pretty easy to read Sub-Zero, and the tools he has in a given situation.

Kedra: I would say Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Ermac, Kitana, Jax, Kabal, Sub-Zero, Smoke and Kitana. All of these characters which I enumerated are tournament-viable imo. I'm having a hard time against these characters if I got to play with them. Once someone used them at their highest capability, the match will be in their favor.

Mattgaw: Anyone as long as they are very good.

Marcus: Reptile - very challenging, still can't figure out how to pressure Reptile.

Noba: Since there are not "tier band wagoning" in this game in our community. I'd like to face every character in this game because each character is unique at how they approach you in a match.

Migosan: Kung Lao - I like the challenge, and to learn from (the matchup).

Xannax: Anyone.

Retic: Dunno. Don't care. *wink*.

FEAR ME!: Kung Lao or Nightwolf.

Ryan Y.: Johnny Cage.

Apeshit: Characters who don't have teleports, except Kabal haha!

MrValdez: Zoners like Noob Saibot. My character kills zoners and its fun to apply mind games on them. Will I reflect or not?

Stark: Mileena


5. Which character do you look forward to facing the least?

Jet: Sub-Zero

Christoph: Kung Lao and Kabal.

Chady: Jax, Cyrax, Kung Lao, Kabal, and for some strange reason, Sub Zero.

Insane: Scorpion. I don't like mirror matches. You have the same character, meaning you have the same tools at your arsenal. Your opponent can do the things that you do, so it all comes down to the player really.

Kedra: Scorpion, Sonya, Shang Tsung, Reptile and Noob Saibot. Also the list can go on. Our scene here in the Philippines has like a low number of players using them.

Mattgaw: I fear Sektor and Mileena.

Marcus: Noob and Nightwolf - Zoners are boring.

Noba: The same as the previous question, I like to face all of them!

Migosan: Kung Lao, maybe?

Xannax: Kabal.

Retic: Dunno. Don't care. *wink*.

FEAR ME!: Kano.

Ryan Y.: Kenshi.

Apeshit: Obviously characters that have teleports AND Kabal haha!

MrValdez: Mix up characters like Kabal. How do block?

Stark: Kabal and Reptile.


6. What is your favorite stage?

Jet: The Pit.

Christoph: Any, except cage on the pit.

Chady: I actually like all the stages, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the Dead pool, just because of the nostalgia factor.

Insane: The Pit, because of the nostalgia factor. I played MKII a lot as a kid back then and it was my favorite stage. If you take the context of the stage, the kombatants wouldn't be able to sidestep. They could only move forward or backwards. And you know that one of them is going to die. There's no escape from it.

Kedra: Rooftop because it gives a lot of space and time to breathe and develop your next move after getting in or taking the punish from unsafe moves or 50-50 decisions.

Mattgaw: Kratos Stage.

Marcus: Courtyard (DAY).

Noba: Hell and Rooftop.

Migosan: Rooftop Day - so colorful and sunny hahaha!

Xannax: Pit.

Retic: That night version of the MK1 courtyard.

FEAR ME!: The courtyard (Day).

Ryan Y.: Forest, probably.

Apeshit: I don't have any favorite stages, to be honest.

MrValdez: I love all the stages.

Stark: The Dead Pool


7. Who in the MK Community do you consider your rival? Why?

Jet: Ryan Yuson (Xannax) for using Sub-zero!

Christoph: No one actually.

Chady: Hmm, this is kinda sad because I've never fought anyone outside the Bohol MK9 community so I can't call anyone my rival yet frown.

Insane: I don't really consider any particular player a rival.

Kedra: I don't think I have a rival. No issues here though.

Mattgaw: Gil because we are both Cyrax haha.

Marcus: My brother Migosan. Champ against champ.

Noba: My Brother, Daryl(Kedra).

Migosan: Marcus - neverending battle of zoners vs rushdown.

Xannax: None. Everyone is really good.

Retic: Errr...dunno. Meron nga ba? (Translation: Is there?) hahaha!

FEAR ME!: MR. VALDEZ!

Ryan Y.: MKPH? None.

Apeshit: I consider Xannax a rival of mine simply because he is the hardest for me to beat. There's no animosity though, he and Ryan Y. are gracious hosts and good friends of mine.

Stark: Rambo as he is the one I used to train with the most.

 

8. What are your thoughts on MK9 having a block button as opposed to other fighting games only having to hold back to block?

Jet: Don't know what to say haha!

Christoph: I prefer the block button.

Chady: It's alright. It's one of the things that make MK...MK. Changing that may make it (the game) drastically different from the past MKs.

Insane: It certainly adds a layer in the gameplay. Since you can't do any other things while blocking, you have to know when to block at the right time so you wouldn't get stuck in a static position. It's also pretty hard to escape tick throws because of it. Also, you know when your opponent's blocking because of the animation, and you can certainly add that into your train of thought while playing. The characters look dumb in high level play though (ie. walk, block, walk, block).

Kedra: I'm not skeptical about it. Most people complain about this but if you were a dedicated FGC player with an open-minded about bearing those game mechanics that may change your gaming methods by changing the games you play over and over. I have adapted a little, it doesn't hurts to try and challenge yourself on accustoming mind set. But Injustice there are some cross-ups so stay tune to that.

Mattgaw: Block button is ok but I'm not used to it while I'm using a stick.

Marcus: Not really a big factor for me. It's just that you can block better using the dedicated button.

Noba: I am quite used to the block button in general, because me and my brother have been playing Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution since 5 years ago (and still playing it to this day) and thankfully I can use that habit of having a block button in this game.

Migosan: It's so much better than holding back to prevent stupid unblockables.

Xannax: If I learned how to use the block button I think can learn back button as blocking to.

Retic: It's a new playing field. Learn to adapt. Yi Ar Kung Fu had no block IIRC!!!

FEAR ME!: It's a great idea having a block button.

Ryan Y.: For me I rather have a block button than holding back because you have a free left thumb to do your fuzzy guard, breaker, or be ready to jump or any move you do next. Yeah you can do it in most fighting games but you have your left thumb stuck on holding back. You can have cramps haha!

Apeshit: I personally prefer holding back probably because of my SF background, but I guess they deem it necessary to have a dedicated block button because of the game's intricacies.

MrValdez: It changes the meta a lot. Because of the block button, there is no such thing as a crossup on wakeup. This significantly lowers the guessing game. But in exchange, the defender will have to be more aware on when their opponent is planning an attack. This makes games with block button more aggressive.

Stark: I LOVE THE BLOCK BUTTON.

 

9. Who in the MK Community (Local or International) do you idolize or at least pattern your game to?

Jet: A f0xy grampa.

Christoph: No one really.

Chady: Pattern or Idolize...Hmm, Walang Ermac na umaabot sa Top 8 eh lolz. (Translation: Hmm, there are no Ermacs that reach Top 8 lolz). DetroitBallin and Maxter don't count! Di nila main si Ermac (Translation: They don't main Ermac) eh hahaha but I love seeing how EGP|Tyrant plays MK and my MK movement revolves around his method of play. I also like CDJr because...well, he's a champion hehe!

Insane: I just mix the gameplays of the top players as much as possible. Each of them has something unique that they do, and I try to incorporate those things into my gameplay. Utilize the things that work best, and throw out the useless ones.

Kedra: Shock from Testyourmight.com. Without him, there should be no high-level competitive scene in U.S that would stand as a proud. Locally, I guess I'm one of them, you and the other MK9 Players who play and train to get better and exchange ideas with each other.

Mattgaw: I respect Marcus making Kung Lao and then Rain Champing the tourney.

Marcus: Local - Everyone! International - CDJr and REO. Tom Brady (Honorable Mention)

Noba: Hidan, (Quan Chi) more than a year ago. I kept playing as Quan Chi but started to have doubts in his ability to win matches in this game. Then I stumbled on a Quan Chi tech video together with a tourney match vid of Hidan playing. I regain my hope to play Quan Chi to become a credible Quan Chi player.

Migosan: Chris G's zoning , CDjr's smarts.

Xannax: KT Smith.

Retic: ChrisG's reptile is my MK idol!

FEAR ME!: A foxy grampa's pressure and MONO's Noob smart play.

Ryan Y.: Tom Brady & A F0xy Grampa.

Apeshit: M2Dave, definitely. He's just so good at zoning people out.

MrValdez: My brothers. But we play a lot since we live together. When we fight, we are not fighting the characters - we are fighting the player. If someone were to watch us, we might do weird moves sometimes, but that's because we are predicting what the other is going to do at that point in time before they do it. If it connects, it looks psychic, but that's only because we play each other too much.

Stark: Would have to say the Macayan brothers. These guys devote a lot of their time into the games they pick up and show clear results.


10. What are your thoughts about Injustice? Is it similar to MK9? Are you going to play it?

Jet: Haven't seen the gameplay yet.

Christoph: I'm gonna try it out, but I don't like the "press back to block" thingy.

Chady: As for Injustice, I think it looks too MK-ish for now so I'll be waiting for additional news before I make a decision.

Insane: So far I'm not really impressed. It really feels like MK9 from the looks of it, with the addition of using the stage in the gameplay. But the movements, looks, all look like MK9. The moves look stiff, too. Maybe down the road I'd play it. But as of now, I'm not really looking forward to it.

Kedra: It similar alright. Having some of the game mechanics transferred to Injustice is good though. I'm think I'm gonna play whether with or without reading the critical reviews.

Mattgaw: Im going to play Injustice definitely!

Marcus: Injustice will be dope! NRS didnt disappoint with MK9 so Im looking forward to playing it competitively.

Noba: Injustice is good way for Netherrealm Studios to branch out of the MK Universe and also to redeem themselves to the failure that is MKvsDC. I am a fan of the DC Universe once again, because of the TV Series, Young Justice, and would look forward to the many many characters they unveil for this game (here is hoping for Plastic Man, Klarion the Witch Boy, Zatanna and lesser Batman characters).

Migosan: Injustice is quite similar to MK9, its feel, its combos, but i think its gameplay is much more different. Yes, I would play it because of Aquaman!

Xannax: I am liking Injustice with every video they tease. I think it has similarity with MK9 but not that much. So yes, I'm going to play Injustice.

Retic: My only reservation/hesitation playing Injustice is that it's mainly DC and I'm not a DC person (always more of a Marvel person). Although if nandun si Bane (Translation: if Bane is there) or that Gator guy or even Lobo, I'd give it a shot.

FEAR ME!: My thoughts about it I think it's gonna be difficult to play unlike MK9 beacause injustice uses the environment in fighting and so much more animations than MK..but yes definitely im gonna play it.

Ryan Y.: Stage environment need to know and learn it. Is it similar to MK9? Not as much but i hope so. Am I going to play it? Hell yeah haha!

Apeshit: I'm definitely going to play it, and if Penguin is in there, I got myself a main!

Stark: Although they look similar, the interactive environments allow for different gameplay and strategy. Will definitely pick up a copy.

Editor's Note: Team PanCan would like to thank Jet, Christoph, Chady, Insane, Kedra, Mattgaw, Marcus, Noba, Migosan, Xannax, Retic, FEAR ME!, Ryan Y., Apeshit, MrValdez and Stark for taking their time to answer these questions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Team PanCan's Official Blog © 2012 | Your source for news about the Philippine Fighting Game Community